Watch & Learn: 2018-2019 City Budget
Use the player below to view a series of videos outlining the key features, challenges, and an overview of the 2018-2019 City of Midland budget.
View Full Budget Documents - 2010 to Present
Below, you'll find the City of Midland budgets from the 2010-2011 fiscal year to the present, listed by year. "Full Budget" documents contain full sections of the City budget, while "Line Item Budget" documents detail each individual account budgeted by the City. Line Item Budgets are available to view beginning with the 2015-2016 fiscal year.
Please note: Beginning with the 2012-2013 budget year, desktop users can easily navigate to specific sections throughout full budget documents by clicking the "Bookmark" tab located in the top right corner of their browser window after opening the document. This feature is not available through most mobile PDF viewers.
Tip: Internet Explorer users will need to click the Adobe icon on the toolbar that appears to open the file as a PDF.
What's in a Budget?
Before you read a City budget, you may be curious about where to find the information you're seeking. Here is a breakdown of the various sections and what you'll find inside each section.
- Table of Contents
- Budget Message
- Future-Year Projections
The General Fund is the City's largest fund, which pays for the majority of the City's expenses.
- How the City Allocates Its Money
- Combined Summary of Budget Appropriations and Revenues
- Estimated Revenues by Source
- General Government
Treasurer/Police and Fire Pension Administration
Internal Computer Services
- Public Safety
- Public Works
- Parks and Recreation
- Other Functions
- Capital Projects
- Reserve for Contingencies
Special Revenue Funds
Special Revenue Funds are taxes or fees that are collected for services and can only be used for that particular service.
- Major and Local Streets
- Smart Zone
- Center City Authority
- Storm Water Management
- Grace A. Dow Library
- Community Development Block Grant
- Special Activities
- Midland Housing
- Midland Community Television
- Downtown Development Authority
Debt Service Fund
The debt service fund is a cash reserve that is used to pay for the interest and principal payments on outstanding bonds or debt.
- Schedule of Debt Requirements
Enterprise funds are fees collected from residents for a specific provided service.
- Civic Arena
- Washington Woods
- Riverside Place
- Currie Municipal Golf Course
Internal Service Funds
Internal service funds are fees collected from City departments for a specific provided internal service.
- Stores Revolving
- Information Services
- Equipment Revolving
- Municipal Service Center
- Municipal Service Annex
- Renewable Energy Services
- Property and Liability Services
- Health Insurance
- Special Assessment Revolving
Trends and Summaries
- Net Cost of Certain Departments
- Budget Consolidation
- General Fund Revenue and Expenditures
- Capital Purchase and Projects
- Authorized Employees by Fiscal Year
- Comparative and Combined Tax Rates
- Schedule of Taxable Values
- Ten Largest Taxpayers
- Constitutional Tax Limitations