REGULAR MEETING OF THE

MIDLAND CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT AUTHORITY,

TO TAKE PLACE ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2008, 3:00 P.M.

COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, MIDLAND, MICHIGAN

 

1.   ROLL CALL

      MEMBERS PRESENT:   Gregory Adkins, Jerry Deming, Joe Kozuch, Jon Lynch, Clifford Miles and Clinton Struthers

      MEMBERS ABSENT:          David Ginis                       

      STAFF PRESENT:          Keith Baker, Planning Director, Debbie Marquardt, Technical Secretary, and Heidi Saidizand, Chamber of Commerce and one other

2.   APPROVAL OF MINUTES

It was moved by Struthers and seconded by Deming to approve the minutes of the November 19, 2008 meeting as presented with corrections.  Motion was unanimously approved.

3.   PUBLIC COMMENTS (unrelated to items on the agenda)

      None

4.   OLD BUSINESS

 

a.    Discussion of PPS study results from 2006 was postponed until next month when Mr. Ginis will be present. 

 

5.   NEW BUSINESS (unrelated to items on the agenda)

      a.   Santa Parade Update

 

Ms. SaidiZand stated that at the November meeting Mr. Kozuch talked about plans for the Santa parade.  Ms. SaidiZand provided an update that the key things were that all of the volunteers and donations were from businesses within the corridor.  There was an extra tent and more business participation.  Heidi heard favorable comments in regards to the locations of the tents and what they offered in terms of beverages.  The surveys she received back showed it was well received and they hope to see it back next year.  Mr. Adkins stated that they set up the tents quickly and it was great.

 

      b.   Consideration of hosting a networking event with other CIA’s around the state

 

Ms. SaidiZand was doing research earlier for the listings of some of the other Corridor Improvement Authority’s in the state.  She had the opportunity to talk to them and find out what part of the process they were in.  Many of them shared with her that it would be great to all get together as a group to discuss things like ideas for improvements, ideas for financing those improvements and a general CIA program overview.  They could discuss things such as best practices, roadblocks or things that they would do differently.  There does seem to be interest from some other Corridor Improvement Authorities in the state. 

 

Mr. Lynch thinks it is a good idea and to have an opportunity to learn from the other groups is always valuable.  They may be able to partner with the Michigan Municipal League to help coordinate an effort of this nature.  If they can get the league to accommodate this, they may be able to meet in Lansing and it would be convenient for the other authorities. 

 

            Mr. Adkins thinks it would be a good idea and they could select a centralized location. 

 

There is a Corridor Improvement Authority in Lansing, which spans three municipalities.  They could make some contacts with some of those folks.  Mr. Baker will help Heidi and he will contact the Michigan Municipal League and make the initial invitations to others to participate and to make the arrangements and check the availability and interest.  Information is a valuable commodity.  The networking opportunity will be valuable.

 

      c.   Review of snow removal on sidewalks for local businesses

 

Mr. Kozuch mentioned the recent snow and that sidewalks in the district weren’t getting cleared.  There is no ordinance in regards to snow removal on sidewalks but they would like to encourage everybody within the district to keep the sidewalks clean so you can walk from shop to shop.  There are still areas that are not shoveled.  Mr. Lynch stated that they could send out a reminder to everyone in the corridor from the property owner list from the establishment of the district.  There is an e-mail list for business owners in the area.  The city plows the school routes in the neighborhoods where there are primary paths to the schools.  Mr. Struthers wondered if there was some kind of incentive program within the area that they could make a big deal about the people that do clean their sidewalks.  This might be a very simple process to help encourage the people up and down Saginaw Road to get out and take care of their sidewalks.  This could create some good will and some interaction between the businesses in the area.  The incentive is to get the patrons in the shops.

 

The first step is to use the e-mail list of all the business owners and send a friendly reminder and maybe come back to this at a future meeting.

 

6.   COMMUNICATIONS

      None

7.   REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

There was one item that Mr. Ginis wanted to bring up.  The annual tennis tournament gives out gift bags to the attendees and he has been approached to donate items to put in these packages.  The question is would the Center City Authority want to donate some brochures with a map of the area and make it known to all the businesses in the district?  Mr. Struthers asked if they have enough maps and brochures available.  Ms. Saidizand confirmed that there are enough brochures on hand.  They should at least do that to create some community awareness.  They should contact the businesses in the area and it is a great opportunity for this group to gain exposure.

They could use the electronic mailing list to make the business owners aware of the opportunity to be involved.

Ms. SaidiZand has about 1/3 of the e-mail addresses.  She has contact information otherwise.  Mr. Kozuch stated that they would like to do a weekly or monthly newsletter or e-mail letter to get information out to everybody on a regular basis. 

Heidi sent out a letter to everybody a few months go requesting contact information from them.  She could certainly do that again or get on the phone and start making phone calls.  The tennis tournament is in early February.  They could certainly get the information out by January.  They would need around 1,000 items for the gift bags for the tennis tournament.

8.   REPORT OF THE STAFF

Mr. Baker has two things to mention.  The first is that the strategic planning session is still being organized.  Secondly, “Deals at the Diamond” on January 31, 2009 held at the Dow Diamond.  Participation is open to the Center City businesses.  Those wishing to participate should contact Dennis Hufford at the Downtown Development Authority and she can assist them.  Mr. Adkins asked how they could get the information out to the businesses.  Mr. Lynch stated that the meetings are available on the city streaming video site and that will be a good tool but right now direct contact will be most appropriate.  

9.   ADJOURNMENT

      As there was no further business, the meeting adjourned at 3:30 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Keith Baker, AICP

Director of Planning & Community Development

Secretary

 

MINUTES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL APPROVED

BY THE CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT AUTHORITY