REGULAR MEETING OF THE

MIDLAND CENTER CITY AUTHORITY,

TO TAKE PLACE ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2009, 3:00 P.M.

COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, MIDLAND, MICHIGAN

 

1.   ROLL CALL

      MEMBERS PRESENT:   Gregory Adkins, Jerry Deming, Joe Kozuch, Jon Lynch, Clifford Miles and Clinton Struthers

      MEMBERS ABSENT:          David Ginis

      STAFF PRESENT:          Keith Baker, Director of Planning & Community Development, Cheri King, Community Development Specialist, Cindy Winland, Contract Planner and Jason Geer, Chamber of Commerce and one other.

2.   APPROVAL OF MINUTES

 

It was moved by Struthers and supported by Kozuch to approve the minutes of the October 21, 2009 meetings.  Motion was unanimously approved.

 

3.   PUBLIC COMMENTS (unrelated to items on the agenda)

      None

4.   OLD BUSINESS

 

      None

 

5.   NEW BUSINESS (unrelated to items on the agenda)

      Draft CCA Development & TIF Plan

     

a.    Project update and bus tour feedback

 

Mr. Baker introduced Cindy Winland, Staff Consultant Planner, who will provide an update on the project.  Ms. Winland showed a timeline of the activities of the committee.  In early December the group took a bus tour of the Center City area. The committee seems to be right on task for making progress on the plan.  In December, 2009 the Authority will review the Development Plan and timeline for completion, prepare components of the Plan with required elements, the preliminary results of the bus tour and discuss public opportunities for input.

 

The Development Plan includes:

·         Designation of boundaries

·         Existing land use improvements in the development area

·         Open space – City and Authority owned land

·         Zoning and street changes

·         Development costs and financing

·         Residential displacement

·         Evaluation of effectiveness of plan

·         Amendments to the Development Plan

 

Ms. Winland showed an aerial photo of the corridor in 1947.  The zoning map is one of the required elements of the Plan.  At this time the City owns three parcels of land within the Authority boundaries.  These consist of a .92 acre parcel located at the northern edge of the corridor just north of the circle and the Law Enforcement Center, located at the northwest corner of Rodd and Nickels and comprising of 2.75 acres. 

 

The preliminary results of the bus tour were reviewed by section.  The Center City Authority was divided into ten sections.  There were ten attributes evaluated and seven people provided responses to the issues.  Comments fell into three categories including appearance, function, and walkability/access.

 

Appearance:

·         Need a streetscape project with uniform signing lighting, facades and sidewalks

·         Need façade improvement program similar to DDA

·         Rear access facades need particular attention

·         Litter everywhere.  Not everyone maintains out lawn.

·         Signs vs. trees.  Need to find ways to make sign regulations consistent with existing trees.

·         Bury or move power lines

·         Dumpsters should be enclosed and not visible from the street.

·         Consider Hamilton Anderson Plan.

 

            Function:

·         See comments regarding signs and trees.

·         Need parks and public spaces.  Need restrooms.

·         Change streetlights to enhance night time business usage.

·         Put a boulevard on Saginaw Road.  Remove trees in front of businesses and put them in boulevard.

·         Consider extending Circle zoning overlay farther southeasterly.

·         Parking lots need maintenance and striping.

·         Consider Hamilton Anderson Plan.

 

            Walkability/Access:

·         Surprised at how good streets and sidewalks are.

·         Many curb cuts.  Influences walkability.

·         Continue bicycle path on Saginaw Road.

·         Connect bike trail on south side.

·         Need continuity of handicap accessibility.

·         Better street crossings are needed.  Better markings, lighting, especially at Eastlawn, the Circle, and mid-block on whole corridor.  Saginaw Road is about 60 feet wide.

 

            Potential public input options include:

·         A Web survey/Report card.

·         Open house.

·         Table top charettes (round table discussions with markers and maps)

 

            Mr. Lynch stated the key for the success of these methods is getting people to participate.  The “Meetings in a Box” worked very well when the city was developing its Master Plan.  Perhaps there is an opportunity here to invite people to meet in small groups or with block captains on a much less formal level.  If the effort is originated from friends and neighbors, sometimes people will spend an hour and tell you what they think.  Mr. Adkins was definitely in favor of this option for public input.  It would be difficult to make sure people did the web survey and establishing it as a priority.  He thinks the table top charettes or some sort of small group would work best.  Mr. Baker stated we had over 400 participants the last time the city did the “Meetings in a Box”.  Mr. Miles stated that here is an opportunity to use the block captains and perhaps members of the Center City Authority Board to host these small group meetings. 

 

            Ms. Winland stated the only other item on their list for today was setting of some goals and prioritization of those goals.  However, she thinks today would be premature to do this exercise.  Staff will attempt to do this during the month of January and come back to the Board in February with the setting and prioritization of goals.

 

      6.   COMMUNICATIONS

      a.   Economic Sustainability committee status report – Adkins

     

            This committee has not met since the October Authority meeting so they have no report.  They have received some budget requests from the other committees.

 

      b.   Organizational Development committee status report – Struthers

 

            The committee has met and they will be meeting again tomorrow.  Their focus has been continuing refinement of the cohesive message document they were charged with several months back.  They are attempting to create a tool for the block captains and various committees so they know who to contact and when to contact them.

 

      c.   Marketing committee status report – Kozuch

 

            Mr. Kozuch stated that the committee met last week.  They hosted the Santa parade.  Mr. Kozuch stated they wanted to thank the sponsors and people who set up the tents for the hot drinks and donuts supplied that day.  The tents need to have people manning the tents during the parade.  The marketing committee is looking to form a Center City Business Association.  This will help with marketing the area.

 

7.   REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

      None

     

8.   REPORT OF THE STAFF

Northwood has made a formal contact with the Authority to confirm their participation in the marketing study starting in January.  Staff will continue to work on the public input process for the Development Plan. 


 

 

9.   ADJOURNMENT

      As there was no further business, the meeting adjourned at 3:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

Keith Baker, AICP

Director of Planning & Community Development

Secretary

 

MINUTES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL APPROVED

BY THE CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT AUTHORITY