REGULAR MEETING OF THE

MIDLAND CENTER CITY AUTHORITY,

TO TAKE PLACE ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2010, 3:00 P.M.

COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, MIDLAND, MICHIGAN

 

1.   ROLL CALL

      MEMBERS PRESENT:   Jerry Deming, David Ginis, Joe Kozuch, Jon Lynch, Clifford Miles and Clinton Struthers

      MEMBERS ABSENT:          None

      VACANCY:                      One

      STAFF PRESENT:          Keith Baker, Director of Planning & Community Development, Debbie Marquardt, Technical Secretary, Jason Geer, Chamber of Commerce and one other.

2.   APPROVAL OF MINUTES

 

It was moved by Struthers and supported by Deming to approve the minutes of the January 20, 2010 meeting.  Motion was unanimously approved.

 

3.   PUBLIC COMMENTS (unrelated to items on the agenda)

      None

4.   OLD BUSINESS

 

      Project updates

 

a.    Development & TIF Plan – Baker

 

Mr. Baker gave a presentation on the CCA development plan public input process.  They are looking at two meetings, one for the public and one for the businesses.  They will have identical information presented at both.  The format for the session will be a short presentation by staff.  They will have 7-9 display boards.  They will be given an opportunity to browse and ask questions.  There will be a short take home handout.  They will also have refreshments.

 

For the business owners and operators they will use the block captains to play an active role.  They would like to hold the meeting at the Law Enforcement Center during the day.  

 

Promotion of the meetings would be by website, e-mail, flyers and utilizing the media outlets.

 

The date has not been set yet.  They are working on some display boards.  One display board will be relative to how the organization may fund this corridor.  They are looking at attempting to hold the meeting in March. 

 

Mr. Deming said that the presentation that Ms. Winland gave last month at the meeting should be used and show that the feedback is coming from various studies.  They will also need to get block captains chosen before the meetings.

 

Mr. Lynch asked if the process in regards to the time table is on time.  Mr. Baker stated that it was.  It is important to do the public input the right way and if they don’t it will slow things down later on. 

 

Mr. Ginis asked when they will know when the meeting will take place.  Baker responded that next week they will see what the materials are and how they will be prepared.  Then they can schedule the meeting and start circulating the advertising for that. 

 

      b.   Northwood Marketing Project – Baker

 

Mr. Baker gave an update on the project.  They did conduct a kick off meeting with the

Four-student member team.  The student team was sent off with quite a bit of information to research and investigate.  They are in the process of doing that.  There is also a meeting scheduled for this Friday between the team leader and staff.  There will be an initial presentation of the students finding and they will conduct that on March 1 at 9:00 a.m.  There has been frequent communication through e-mails.  The process is proceeding and there is work going on behind the scenes.

 

5.   NEW BUSINESS (unrelated to items on the agenda)

      None

 

6.   COMMUNICATIONS

 

      a.   Economic Sustainability committee status report – Lynch

     

Mr. Lynch stated that they received a resignation from Mr. Adkins.  He served as the chair of this committee so work has been delayed.  They met yesterday and they discussed potential candidates in filling that seat.  They will bring that to the board and move forward in rounding out the committee.  Mr. Lynch also has to make a recommendation to City Council for the board slot.  Mr. Lynch elected to recommend Christine Rapanos.  She has been a member for a few months and she has agreed to serve on the board.  The recommended appointment will appear on the City Council agenda on Monday and she will be at the next regular meeting and she will also serve on the committee.

 

They are focusing on the development of the plan of work to fully describe where they are headed in the short term and what type of financing will be required.  They also discussed the relationship they have with the Chamber of Commerce.  Mr. Lynch stated that with the budget challenges, they will have to modify their partnership with the Chamber of Commerce.  He has had some discussion with Sid Allen and how they can keep the relationship as they go forward.  He hopes they can continue that relationship past the current fiscal year.

     

      b.   Organizational Development committee status report – Struthers

 

            Mr. Struthers stated that most of what they have been working on was presented by Mr. Baker.  He commented that one of the board members, Mr. Kuzuch, received recognition for a decorative window display at his business Village Green florist.  It was national recognition for the artwork.

           


 

 

      c.   Marketing committee status report – Kozuch

 

            Mr. Kozuch stated they are looking at March 19th  to hold a “Paleo Joe” dinosaur dig and scavenger hunt.  They will send event fliers to the school.  They are planning for the spring flowers in May.  They will also send out a flyer for the input meeting.

 

            Mr. Baker asked who Paleo Joe was.  Mr. Ginis stated that he puts on programs for schools and he approached them to see if they would be interested in working with him.  He wanted to have dinosaur days.  He goes around and gives presentations on paleontology.  There are a couple of sections in the corridor that is bare ground and where they can put things and it will be easy clean up.  He has agreed to attend the next marketing meeting.  The chamber has agreed to fund this if they can not get enough people who are willing to be one of the hosts.

           

7.   REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

 

      a.   Receipt of resignation of Greg Adkins from the CCA Board

 

      Mr. Ginis acknowledged the resignation of Greg Adkins from the board and wished him well. 

 

      There is a new business at the circle and it is a yoga studio.  It opened this past Monday.

 

8.   REPORT OF THE STAFF

Mr. Miles requested that the committees submit their list of proposed expenditures and prioritize them.  They probably won’t have enough money to do all of them.  Each committee should take time at their next meeting to prioritize the budget.  Mr. Deming asked for feedback.  Mr. Ginis asked for the one page information about themselves and to get it done and pass it along to Jason. 

 

9.   ADJOURNMENT

      As there was no further business, the meeting adjourned at 3:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Keith Baker, AICP

Director of Planning & Community Development

Secretary

 

MINUTES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL APPROVED

BY THE CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT AUTHORITY