Circle-Logo-RGB

DDA Board Meeting

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 3 p.m.

MINUTES

 

 


Board Members Present:  
Marty McGuire (Chair), Bo Brines, Dan Cline, Mike Hayes, Heidi McIvor, Zachary Prior, Ranny Riecker, Mark Ruhle, Doug Thompson, Claudia Wallin

Board Members Absent:  Jenny Anderson, Jon Lynch

 

DDA Chair Marty McGuire introduced new DDA Board members Heidi McIvor and Zachary Prior.

 

The DDA minutes from the June 14, 2010 meeting were approved as submitted.  Riecker/Wallin

 

Due to the close out of the 2009-10 fiscal year, a multi-month financial report will be presented in September. 

 

Cheryl Smith, co-chair of the 2010 Totally Turtles Sculpture Series provided an update on this year’s event.   Five turtles visited the Reece Endeavor Garden Walk July 20-22.  The public auction is scheduled for September 23 at 7 p.m. at the H Hotel. 

 

Director of Public Services, Karen Murphy, presented a board informational reviewing parks in the downtown district.

 

Horticulturist, Stephanie Szostak reported her work crews are making plans to pull bulbs in preparation for the fall displays.  Planning has begun on the 2011 spring and summer displays.   She reported that she has worked with local architect Peter Anders, who donated his time to consult on possible retrofits for the disabled Jumping Jewels water feature along Ashman Street.  A recommendation will be considered under the executive committee report.  Stephanie reported that a smoking receptacle design had been chosen and the Department of Public Services will order and place 11 smoking receptacles throughout downtown to help cut down on smoking material litter on the sidewalks and in the planters. 

 

 

Committee Reports

Motion was moved by Hayes seconded by Riecker.  Motion was unanimously approved.

·         Economic Sustainability – Chair Mike Hayes reported that:

submitted the following two Action Items to the DDA Board:



·         Communications Committee – Chair Claudia Wallin, reported that the Communications Committee reviewed the new downtownmidland.com website design at their July meeting.  Selina Tisdale provided an update on Taste of Downtown. 

·         Budget and Finance – The committee did not meet in July.

·         MDBA Board – MDBA President, Patty Aspin, provided an update on activities of the MDBA including the Annual Meeting which took place in July.

 

No public comments were made.

No new business was discussed.

Meeting adjourned at 3:45 p.m.