Grace A. Dow Memorial Library
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7 p.m.
I. Roll Call
Galt called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Melissa Barnard, Maxine Brink, Michael Burhans, Sarah Galt, Tami Johnson, Laura Peterson
ABSENT: Suzanne Phillips, Marilyn Soules
ALSO PRESENT: Wendy Shields, Technical Secretary; Virginia McKane, Assistant Director, Ann Jarvis, Reference Librarian
II. Acceptance of January 19, 2011 Meeting Minutes
Motion to accept minutes made by Brink, seconded by Johnson. Motion approved.
III. Additions or Changes to the Agenda
IV. Public Comments
V. Presentation on Adult Reader Resources
In addressing the Board goal to increase awareness of the library, Barnard arranged for Ann Jarvis, Reference Librarian, to give a presentation. Jarvis gave an overview of the library’s reader resources for adults.
VI. Director’s Report
Barnard reported that there are seventy teams registered for the 2011 Battle of the Books. The first written battle had taken place that afternoon. A second written battle, Oral Battle Day and the Championship Battle will follow.
Barnard also announced that the Joint Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative Board/Advisory Council Annual Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 12th, 5:00 p.m., at the Baker College Flint Campus.
Johnson asked about the Summer Discovery Camp. Barnard responded that the library will again be participating in this event.
Galt inquired about the Library Journal’s “Star Libraries” index. Barnard responded that our library statistics are not at the same level as the libraries being recognized. Barnard commented further that City Council is interested in benchmarking city departments against other cities and the library would be included.
VII. Patron Compliments and Concerns
1. Just a note to let you know how extremely grateful and proud I am for the African-American display. As a citizen of 36 years in Midland and two adult girls educated here – now with two grandkids they too will definitely be visiting. Warmest regards.
2. Remember when we had that huge blizzard warning on Wednesday, February 2nd and had nine inches of snow? I saw on the library website that you posted that the library was open and that the parking lot was clear. I thought that was a great idea, especially because I didn’t want to drive in until I could find out that the plows had cleared your parking lot. What a great way of communicating this kind of real-time information.
3. Just wish the library bags were smaller – the size of grocery bags, I would buy them for that purpose.
The recycled bags provided by the Friends of the Library were selected to accommodate a variety of book sizes.
1. Please have folks apply for library cards at the reference desk so as to not hold up patrons checking out books!!!
The Check Out desk is staffed at all times. Reference staff must leave their desk area to assist patrons.
2. The $1 charge to look up number is not right!
The charge is to encourage patrons to use their library cards which, in turn, contributes to a faster check out process.
VIII. Old Business
a. Board/Community Communications
b. Mid-Michigan Library Cooperative Report
c. Library Board Goals Committee Reports
No updates. Committees continue to work on the goals.
IX. New Business
a. Board Expiring Terms
Soules and Johnson both have terms expiring 6/30/2011. Barnard explained that she will be contacting them shortly to determine if they would like to be reappointed by City Council for another term on the Board.
b. City of Midland 2011-2012 Budget
Barnard reviewed the dates for the City of Midland’s 2011-2012 budget schedule.
X. Board Announcements
Brink announced that she had a Township Officials meeting on March 3rd and requested material to distribute at that meeting.
Johnson reminded everyone that the Friends Used Book Sale is this weekend,
February 18th – 20th.
Johnson asked about the audiobook prize from the Taped Editions, “I Love My Library” sweepstakes. Barnard responded that we have received the audiobooks and they will have a special emblem on them to show they were won in the sweepstakes contest. Barnard further explained that once the audiobooks are ready for the shelf, we will link the list to the Library’s website.
Brink moved to adjourn. Burhans seconded. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned at