Grace A. Dow Memorial Library
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7 p.m.
I. Roll Call
Burhans called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Melissa Barnard, Maxine Brink, Michael Burhans, Lucille Cronin, Sarah Galt, Steven Markey, Laura Peterson, Suzanne Phillips
ALSO PRESENT: Ron Beacom, Manager of MCTV and Library Communications
II. Acceptance of June 20, 2012 Meeting Minutes
Motion to accept minutes made by Brink, seconded by Cronin. Motion approved.
III. Additions or Changes to the Agenda
IV. Public Comments
V. Director’s Report
Barnard thanked Cronin for serving on the Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative Board. Grace A. Dow Memorial Library’s six year term has been completed.
Barnard highlighted three new programs beginning this fall: Online Book Club – Anywhere, Anytime Book Club, Game Night for adults, and Fab Fridays for teens. Information on these programs will be in the upcoming Library Connection.
Barnard encouraged the board and the public to nominate Grace A. Dow Memorial Library for the Lego Read, Play, Build Contest. The library with the most votes will win $5,000; the top 200 libraries will receive a Lego Tool Kit. To vote, go to the library’s website, click on the link and vote for our library. Phillips commented that when she voted earlier that day, our library was ranked at 121.
Barnard announced that the Library will be closed Monday, September 3rd for the Labor Day holiday. Sunday hours resume September 9th.
Burhans complimented the Library on a successful Touch a Truck event.
VI. Patron Comments and Suggestions
1. While I was in today I could not use a laptop upstairs because there was no wireless printer.
There have been technical problems with wireless printing from library laptops. Staff is working to resolve the issues.
2. Your staff in the children’s library is over the top!! Always very helpful and friendly. The activities and classes you provide for children are amazing. Thanks for making socialization easy, convenient and affordable!! Best library EVER.
3. This is my favorite library in the world! Great job!
4. I really dislike the new checkout system because I cannot look at the book and tell when it is due. I understand the new system is better for the library, but why can’t the old system of stamping the books be also available to those who want to take the trouble of stamping the book. I would. My wife and I take out a lot of books. I lose track of when they are due until I get a telephone call telling me.
With the elimination of the stamping, problems with errors made by patrons who change the due dates on the stamps and sticker placement have been addressed. Patrons can sign up for pre-overdue notification by email and by phone.
5. When you repave the parking lot, please consider angle-in parking. It’s really hard now to get in and out of the parking spaces and angle-in parking would be a lot easier.
A decision will be made based on the number of parking spaces lost with angle parking.
6. We had such marvelous service at the reference desk.
VII. Library Board Annual Report Committee
Galt presented the second draft of the annual report. One revision was suggested. A motion to accept the Annual Report with the revision was made by Cronin and seconded by Peterson. Motion approved.
VIII. Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative Board Report
IX. Board Meeting Dates 2013
A draft of Board meeting dates for 2013 was presented for discussion. Galt asked if additional meetings would be needed to develop a revised fines and fees schedule. Barnard responded that no additional meetings would be necessary since the public hearing for revised fines and fines would be held on a normal meeting night. Markey motioned that the Board accept the dates as written. Seconded by Brink. Motion approved.
X. 2011-2012 Strategic Plan
Barnard reviewed a draft of the Library’s 2012-13 Strategic Plan, seeking input from the Board.
a) Staff Report
Burhans inquired about alternatives to Overdrive. Peterson suggested we add Midland Daily News to the list of periodicals available on the iPad. Galt inquired about the Auditorium renovation. Barnard responded that the Friends of the Library have contributed funds to replace the seating and carpeting in the Auditorium. Phillips was pleased to see seniors targeted as a result of the demographic report done by the Board. Staff will continue to present library services at Board meetings.
b) Library Board Goal Development
The following ideas will be included in the Strategic Plan and discussed at the September board meeting.
1. Brainstorm fundraising ideas
2. Help with programming goals
3. Help with marketing by attending library presentations with staff members
4. Help with upcoming marketing campaign
Brink moved to adjourn. Markey seconded. Motion approved. Meeting adjourned at