REGULAR MEETING OF MARCH 6, 2012
MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1) Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 7:01 p.m. by Chairperson Frank Altimore
2) Roll Call:
a. MEMBERS PRESENT: Altimore, Bovid, Carlson, Carney, Jurado, Metevia, Rice, Steidemann
b. MEMBERS ABSENT: Kelley
c. OTHERS PRESENT: Stephanie Szostak, City Horticulturist; Marcie Post, Recreation Manager
3) Minutes of February 7, 2012: Juardo motioned, Metevia seconded to receive minutes of the meeting of February 7, 2012. Motion passed 8-0.
4) Call to Audience: None
5) Neighborhood Park Review: Murphy shared staff recommendations for addressing non-compliant play equipment in neighborhood parks as well as compliant equipment with inadequate fall zone protection (report attached). Murphy suggested a public input process consisting of a public hearing at the next Commission meeting as well as a neighborhood survey of residents adjacent to parks where the recommendation is to remove equipment without replacement. The Commission agreed with this suggestion and directed staff to proceed with the neighborhood survey prior to the public hearing.
6) Division Report - Horticulture update: Szostak gave a report on recent and ongoing horticulture projects including the redesigned Tridge landscaping that has been tied in with the canoe launch pathway, the continuation of introducing perennials in the parks to decrease maintenance requirements, and improvements at Stratford Park, Emerson Park and the Council garden on Nickels Street. Szostak also recognized the Evergreen Garden Club for their collaboration at the Jerome/Pine Street traffic island and Plymouth Pool. Szostak also reviewed upcoming volunteer opportunities for citizens to help beautify the city and learn horticulture tips in the process.
7) Old Business : None
8) New Business:
a. Softball registration: Post gave an update on the softball program. The Midland Softball Association’s annual meeting will be held on April 11 to review by-laws and rules for the 2012 season. Post is working on new league offerings including a women’s fast pitch league and expanded co-ed options. Post reviewed deadlines for team and player registration.
b. City Forest cross country ski trail map: Post reviewed the updated cross country ski trail map. The map was created in response to complaints in recent years that the trails were hard to navigate without an accurate map. Additional trail signage has also been installed throughout the trail system to assist users with navigating the trails.
c. Post reminded the Commission that the Beautification Advisory Committee is looking for one additional member. Interested individuals should contact the Parks and Recreation office.
d. Altimore suggested that the April Commission meeting be cancelled as it falls during Midland Public School’s spring break. Metevia motioned to accept this suggestion and Steidemann seconded the motion. Motion passed 8-0.
9) Adjourn: Motioned by Jurado, seconded by Carlson to adjourn the meeting. Motion passed 8– 0. Meeting adjourned at 7:53 p.m.
Director of Public Services