MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION,
WHICH TOOK PLACE ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 14, 2003, 7:00 P.M.,
COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, MIDLAND, MICHIGAN
1. Roll Call
PRESENT: Baker, Geisler, Senesac, Slicker, Svenson and Wieland
ABSENT: Dowling, Kozakiewicz, Max (previously arranged)
OTHERS PRESENT: Jon Lynch, Director of Planning & Community Development; Mark Ostgarden, City Planner; Cheri Standfest, Administrative Assistant; and 11 others.
2. Approval of the minutes of the meeting of December 10, 2002
Baker moved to approve the minutes of the meeting of December 10, 2002 with Slicker supporting the motion. It was noted that the approval date for the Whisper Ridge site plan in the Director’s Report was incorrect and that a resolution supporting bike trails is attached to the minutes. The minutes were approved as amended.
3. Public Hearings
Site Plan No. 222 – request by Dow, Howell, Gilmore Associates, Inc. to review and approve a site plan for Dow Garden’s Natural Forest Visitor’s Center, a 3,700 s.f. interpretive center, located at 2303 Eastman Avenue. [see transcript]
4. Public Comments (not related to agenda items)
5. Old Business
a. Planned Unit Development No. 15 – request of Shiloh Land Development for approval of a Planned Unit Development named Carolina Cove Condominiums consisting of 47 residential units to be constructed on 6.74 acres west of Abbott Road and North of Betsey Drive. Mr. Lynch provided a brief review of the public hearing conducted regarding this petition on December 10th.
Mr. Cliff Reese, the petitioner, produced an illustration indicating how residents of the site will be able to access a neighborhood park for recreation purposes.
Commissioner Senesac stated that the PUD meets the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance and he supports its approval.
Commissioner Wieland noted that there was opposition to the plan due to the fact that it was not exclusively a development of single unit structures. He noted that a portion of the site is currently zoned Residential A-4 and that area could be developed with duplexes either with or without approval of a PUD. The plan provides a good transition of density.
Commissioner Svenson agreed and requested that screening be provided along the north property line.
Chairman Geisler read the standards required for approval of a PUD and noted that all of the standards are complied with.
It was moved by Senesac and seconded by Svenson to recommend to City Council approval of Planned Unit Development No. 15 contingent upon:
1) Street grades shall not be greater than 6% or less than .3%.
2) The Planning Commission recommends that the private street intersect Abbott Road approximately 375’ north of Betsy Drive and 275’ south of Alta Court.
3) Walkways be provided along at least one side of the street within the site.
4) Site lighting shall not be cast off the subject parcel.
5) All utilities shall be located below ground.
6) Utility easements, acceptable to the City of Midland, shall be provided prior to consideration of the Final PUD Plan.
7) A storm water retention plan is approved by the City of Midland Engineering Department.
8) Screening is also provided along the north property line.
The vote proceeded as follows:
YEA: Baker, Geisler, Senesac, Svenson and Wieland
ABSENT: Dowling, Kozakiewicz, Max
6. New Business
Letters from David C. Brown regarding traffic, John Rapanos regarding storm water runoff calculations, and John Rapanos regarding amendments of the future land use map along North Saginaw Road were presented to the Planning Commission.
8. Report of the Chairman
9. Report of the Planning Director
The Director reported on the following matters:
· Site Plan No. 198 – Whisper Ridge East; 16 unit site condo N of N Saginaw Rd and E of Russell St (originally approved 1-29-2003) approved
· Site Plan No. 221 – Central Warehouse; approved
· Zoning Petition No. 497 – Oakbrook Ct. to RA-1; approved
· Zoning Petition No. 498 – Perrine Rd. to RA-1; approved
· Zoning Petition No. 499 – Abbott Rd. from RA-2 to RA-4; approved
· Site Plan No. 222 – (action) Dow Foundation: Natural Forest Visitors Center @ 2303 Eastman Ave.
· Feb. 4 – DDA / Circle zoning
· March 4 – Subdivision Ordinance
· January 22, 4:00 PM – Planning Commission meeting with Homer Twp.
· January 23, 8:00 AM – EITF, DDA, Circle presentations
Adjournment at approximately 8:05 PM was moved by Senesac, seconded by Wieland, and unanimously approved.
Jon Lynch, AICP
Planning Commission Secretary
MINUTES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL APPROVED BY THE PLANNING COMMISSION