MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION,
WHICH TOOK PLACE ON TUESDAY, MAY 13, 2003, 7:00 P.M.,
COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, MIDLAND, MICHIGAN
1. Roll Call
PRESENT: Baker, Dowling, Geisler, Kozakiewicz, Slicker, Svenson and Wieland
ABSENT: Max & Senesac (excused)
OTHERS PRESENT: Jon Lynch, Assistant City Manager; Cheri Standfest, Administrative Assistant; Parks and Recreation Commission: Marty McGuire, Esther Gerstacker, Bruce Peck, Ed McGuire, Margaret Wilson, Lois Berthiaume, Jillian Lincoln; Sally Sutton, Zoning Board of Appeals and 9 others
2. Approval of Minutes
Regular Meeting of April 22, 2003
It was moved by Wieland and supported by Dowling to approve the minutes of April 22nd, correct the spelling of Svenson on page 3. The minutes were unanimously approved as corrected.
3. Report of the Planning Director
The Director reported on the following matters:
1) Site Plan No. 223 Rodnick @ W. Wackerly -- approved
2) Site Plan No. 225 Regional Dialysis @ Jefferson / Wheeler -- approved
3) Tentative Preliminary Plat Countryside Estates -- approved
4) Final Preliminary Plat Broadhead Estates -- approved
5) Preliminary Plat Extension City Forest Estates -- approved
6) Final Plat City Forest Estates -- approved
1) Tentative Preliminary Plat Oakbrook Estates
2) Zoning Petition No. 500 (Set Public Hearing) Todd Bennett; W. Wackerly
Street, N & E of Northgate Dr. from OS-2 to Business B-1.
3) Site Plan No. 226 (Conduct Public Hearing) The Courts at Josephs
Run, N of Joseph Dr. & W. of Midfield Lane (18 unit site condominium)
1) Zoning Petition No. 500 (Action)
2) Site Plan No. 226 (Action)
3) Preliminary Plat Oakbrook Estates (Action)
Discussion regarding zoning of recently annexed property N. Saginaw Rd.
May 31st Special Session on Ordinances
3. Collaborative Presentation Doug Koop of the Little Forks Conservancy; Johathan Jaroz of the East Central Michigan Regional Planning Commission; and Bill Wright, former Saginaw County Planning Director provided the Planning Commission and Parks and Recreation Commission with a presentation on the Saginaw Bay Greenways project. The presentation emphasized the importance of viewing greenways as infrastructure providing benefits to the community and the region.
4. Public Hearings
5. Public Comments (not related to agenda items)
6. Old Business
Discussion zoning of annexed property.
1. 1351 E. Saginaw Road (Cora Belle Bell)
Area shown on Master Land Use Plan is shown as low density residential.
2. 1649 E. Saginaw Road (Midland Fence)
Future land use map shows area as low density residential. Actual use is
commercial, land to east is used as commercial. Land to west is mixture
of residential and commercial.
3. 1367 & 1419 E. Saginaw Road (Ronald Campbell)
Future land use map shows general commercial, some low density
residential and some office service.
All of these areas were zoned CSC (Community Service Commercial) in the
Homer Township zoning.
Staff would like direction of how to proceed going to public hearing and the
application of a city zoning district to these properties.
CSC is most closely related to our Business B-2 zoning district.
Terry Humpert (Midland Fence), explained that his property goes back about ¼ mile or about 1,320 feet.
Commercial zoning should be applied to Midland Fence property to the south
and a low density residential on the northern portion of that property. The balance of the parcels should carry commercial zoning as well.
7. New Business
9. Report of the Chairman
Adjournment at approximately 8:35 PM was moved by Svenson, seconded by Wieland, and unanimously approved.
Jon Lynch, AICP
Planning Commission Secretary
MINUTES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL APPROVED BY THE PLANNING COMMISSION