REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
January 12, 1998 7:30 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
Cub Scout Troop, Pack #3703, Den 2
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
John S. Coppage
John W. Tysse
John R. Moolenaar
Marty A. Wazbinski
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be
routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of
these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of
the "Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated". If there is even a single
request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and
considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 1. Approve
minutes of December 15, 1997 regular, December 23, 1997 special and January 5, 1998
special City Council meetings. KOVACEVICH
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS:
of Bette R. Tollar Civic Commitment Award. MCGUIRE
of American Legion Fourth Estate Award to MCTV and donation of a United States flag. BEACOM
a. H. Grant Helms - Fire Department. HARGARTEN
* b. Ellen H. King - Library. ALSIP
* c. Gilbert G.
Stiner - Fire Department. HARGARTEN
5. Volunteer Blood
Donor Month - January. TISDALE
promoting MCTV's fourth annual "live" blood drive. BEACOM
of updated Barstow Airport Master Plan. DUSO
of Life Safety Achievement Award. HARGARTEN
on Fire Department's Automatic External Defibrillator Program. HARGARTEN
on House Rental Inspection Bill (H-5, SB487). HARGARTEN
of updated City of Midland Master Plan. SCHROEDER
use of Local Law Enforcement Block Grant Funding. (Also see material sent in December
15, 1997 agenda packet.) ST. LOUIS
13. Second reading and adoption of an ordinance to amend: KOVACEVICH
a. Chapter 24 Article III & IV and adding Article V to the Traffic Code.
b. Chapter 21 - Rates,
Charges & Fees, by adding Article VIII - Parking Violations and Penalty Schedule.
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up
before meeting with City Clerk)
* 14. Accept
and record a corrected warranty deed from Big Timber Partnership for property needed to
construct the Dow Fabricated Products Roadway. MCMANUS
15. Annexation of property located between Jefferson Avenue and Waldo Road north of the US-10 Expressway for the purpose of constructing a roadway: SCHROEDER
a. Owned by Dow Chemical Company in Section 2, Township 14 North, Range 2 East (Midland Township), through the Joint Resolution Process.
* b. Owned
by the City of Midland in Section 2, Township 14 North, Range 2 East (Midland Township),
by unilateral action.
16. Accept and record easement agreements, subordination agreements, and affidavits for the Isabella Street Sewer and Water Main Improvement projects: MCMANUS
* a. Easement Agreement for Robert B. Tuttle property - Parcel Code 13-13-50-580
* b. Easement Agreement from Rodney and Betty Stark - Parcel Code 13-24-80-300
* c. Subordination Agreement from Wolverine Bank - Parcel Code 13-13-50-600
* d. Subordination Agreement from NBD Bank - Parcel Code 13-13-40-560
* e. Subordination Agreement from Farmers State Bank - Parcel Code 13-13-40-310
* f. Affidavit from Waterfield Mortgage Company - Parcel Code 13-13-50-800
* g. Affidavit
from Waterfield Mortgage Company - Parcel Code 13-13-50-730
* 17. Resolution
accepting a gift from Bob Kareus for the relocation of a public sanitary sewer running
west from Dyckman Street for the construction of a new house, accepting easements for the
new sewer location, and approving a purchase order to Pat's Gradall for the sewer
* 18. Authorization
to reject all bids received, to waive competitive bids for the sale of the house at 3610
W. Wackerly, and approval to sell internally or list with a realtor. SCHROEDER
* 19. Approval
of an increase in permitted expenditures and to waive competitive bids for the sale of a
residential house project at 3614 W. Wackerly being built jointly by Midland Public
Schools and the City of Midland and approval of the method of sale. SCHROEDER
* 20. Authorization
to initiate the process to refinance the 1992 Saginaw-Midland Municipal Water Supply
Corporation Bonds. FISHER
* 21. Authorization
to purchase six police patrol vehicles. ST. LOUIS
22. Resolutions making Traffic Control Orders permanent: MCMANUS
* a. P-97-10 - prohibit parking on Midfield Lane between Joseph Drive and the Service Road.
* b. P-97-11 - prohibit parking on the north side of Ellsworth Street between Cronkright Street and Ashman Street.
* c. P-97-12 - prohibit parking on the north side of the Service Road from Midfield Lane to 300 feet west.
* d. P-97-13 - prohibit stopping, standing, and parking on the east side of Siebert Street from Dilloway to 100 feet north.
* e. P-97-14 - prohibit stopping, standing, and parking on the north side of Dilloway Street from Nakoma Drive to Siebert Street.
* f. P-97-15 - prohibit parking on the south side of Wexford Street near Tibbs Street.
* g. P-97-16 - establish a three hour weekday parking limit for the Pere Marquette Rail Trail Parking Lot near Dublin Avenue.
* h. R-97-08
- establish a maximum speed limit of 45 m.p.h. on Wackerly Road between Stark Road and
* 23. Resolution setting
a public hearing on the City of Midland 1998-99 Budget Priorities (2/16). FISHER
setting the revised annual compensation for the City Attorney. BLACK
setting the revised annual compensation for the City Manager. BLACK
26. Resolution calling a closed
session to discuss specific pending litigation. HALM