REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
February 23, 1998 7:30 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
John S. Coppage
John W. Tysse
John R. Moolenaar
Marty A. Wazbinski
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be
routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of
these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of
the "Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated". If there is even a single
request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and
considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 1. Approve minutes of February 9 regular and February 16
special City Council meetings. KOVACEVICH
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS:
2. American Red Cross Month - March. TISDALE
* a. Russell Scott Gugino - Utilities. BUSH
b. James L. Hall - Fire Department. HARGARTEN
4. Recognition of the 1997 Police Officer of the Year. ST.
5. Request from Cabot Corporation for an Industrial Facilities
Exemption Certificate within The Dow Chemical Company Industrial Development District No.
3 and the Dow Corning Corporation Industrial Development District relating to new
facilities. This project relates to construction of a fumed silica manufacturing facility
including real and personal property. (Also see material sent in January 26 agenda
6. Amendment to the 1997-98 Library Fund budget to increase
revenues from Contributions by $12,000 and to increase expenditures for Sound Equipment by
$12,000. (Also see material sent in February 9 agenda packet.) ALSIP
7. Proposed revisions to the 1996 Sidewalk Special Assessment
District and Special Assessment Roll. (Also see material sent in February 9 agenda
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up
before meeting with City Clerk)
8. First reading of ordinances amending fees for recreation programs: MCGUIRE
a. Section 21-70 of Division 1 of Article II of Chapter 21 - Civic Arena fees.
b. Section 21-71 of Division 2 of Article II of Chapter 21 - Golf Course fees.
c. Section 21-72 of Division 3 of Article II of Chapter 21 - Swimming Pools fees.
d. Section 21-73 of Division 4 of Article II of Chapter 21 -
General Recreation fees.
9. Consideration of World Horseshoe Tournament Partnership
10. Report on third MCTV access channel. ALSIP
11. Elimination of the 1% Tax Administration Fee for the 1998-99
City of Midland budget. FISHER
12. Acceptance of property for parks purposes from The Dow
Chemical Company. (This item was on the January 26 agenda - action was postponed until
February 23.) MCGUIRE
* 13. Resolution regarding Continuing Disclosure Undertaking
related to issuance of Saginaw-Midland Municipal Water Supply Corporation Refunding
Revenue Bonds, Series 1998. FISHER
14. Accept and record Deeds, Easements, and a Donation Agreement for the purpose of constructing and maintaining the Dow Fabricated Products Roadway: MCMANUS
a. Quit-Claim Deed from The Dow Chemical Company for the purpose of constructing a new roadway.
b. Easement Agreement between the City of Midland and The Dow Chemical Company for the purpose of constructing and maintaining a maintenance roadway and water elevation control berm.
c. Donation Agreement between the City of Midland and The Dow Chemical Company for the purpose of constructing a new roadway.
d. Easement Agreement between the City of Midland and Timothy and
Jennifer Kaminski for the purpose of widening Waldo Road and enclosing a drainage ditch.
15. Accept and record Easement Agreements for the Isabella Street Sanitary Sewer and Water Main Improvement projects: MCMANUS
* a. Easement Agreement from Russell E. Schlafley and Maxine P. Schlafley - Parcel Code 13-13-50-860.
* b. Easement Agreement from Philip Trapani and Dorothy G. Trapani - Parcel Code 13-13-40-450.
* c. Utility Easement Agreement from Ellen M. Strayer - Parcel
* 16. Authorization for City Manager to execute contracts under
$20,000 with the Michigan Department of Transportation. MCGUIRE
17. Resolutions making Traffic Control Orders permanent: MCMANUS
* a. P-97-18 - prohibit parking on the south side of Dartmouth from Jefferson Avenue to 150 feet east.
* b. R-97-09 - maximum speed limit of 35 m.p.h. be established
for Sugnet Road between Orchard Drive and Main Street.
18. Consideration of purchases and contracts:
* a. 1998 Surface Treatment Program; Contract No. 5. MCMANUS
* b. Agreement with Midland Economic Development Council for economic development services. FISHER
* c. Agreement with Farbman Group to list the Kroger Building and act as the City's sales agent. MEYER
* d. Two 72" Rotary Mowers - DPS. MCGUIRE
* e. Two Administrative Cars - DPS. MCGUIRE
* f. Two pick-ups and three vans - DPS. MCGUIRE
19. Resolutions setting public hearings: SCHROEDER
* a. Zoning Petition No. 430 - zone property on the north side of
North Saginaw west of Dublin Avenue to Residential A-1 and Business B-2 (3/23).
* b. Zoning Petition No. 432 - rezone 3.25 acres on the southeast
corner of Bayliss Street and Lyon Road from Industrial A to Business C (3/23).