REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
April 13, 1998 7:30 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
John S. Coppage
John W. Tysse
John R. Moolenaar
Marty A. Wazbinski
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be
routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of
these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of
the "Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated". If there is even a single
request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and
considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 1. Approve minutes of March 11, March 23 and April 6 special
and March 23 regular City Council meetings. KOVACEVICH
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS:
* 2. Proclamation of Welcome to visitors from Epinac, France,
participating in the French-American Exchange Program. TISDALE
* 3. Library Week - April 19-25. ALSIP
4. Zoning Text Amendment No. 131A: SCHROEDER
a. Add to the Zoning Ordinance a new Article X--Historic Preservation Overlay District. (Also see material sent in March 23 agenda packet.)
b. Amend the Zoning Map to reflect the Overlay District. (Also
see material sent in March 23 agenda packet.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up
before meeting with City Clerk)
5. Presenting the City Manager's Proposed 1998-99 Budget. DUSO
6. Approving and confirming the special assessment roll for the
1997 Chippewa and Smith Street Improvement Special Assessment District. (Public hearing
was held on September 8, 1997 and a decision was postponed until April 1998). DRYZGA
* 7. Recognizing the Friends of the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library
as a nonprofit organization for the purpose of registering with the Charitable Gaming
Division of the Michigan Lottery. ALSIP
8. Approving Site Plans: SCHROEDER
a. No. 165 - 10-unit apartment complex on .78 acres on the east side of Jefferson Avenue south of West Wackerly Street.
b. No. 166 - 14 residential townhouses in three buildings on 1.19
acres on the east side of Colorado Court extended northeasterly from Walsh Court.
9. Receiving and filing: BUSH
* a. Report on a petition for water at 702 Union Street.
* b. 1997 Annual Report from the Saginaw/Midland Municipal Water
* 10. Referring request to close the south end of Woodlawn Street
at its intersection with North Saginaw Road, resulting in a cul-de-sac. SCHROEDER
* 11. Authorizing the City Administration to submit an
application, in partnership with Wolverine Bank, for a new Federal Home Loan Bank Grant
for the 1998 CHOICE Program. SCHROEDER
12. Considering contracts and purchases:
a. 1998 Chippewa & Smith Street Improvement; Contract No. 6. HAMMOND
* b. 1998 Eastman Avenue Sewer Repairs; Contract No. 19. HAMMOND
* c. Audit Fees for Fiscal Years Ending June 30, 1998 & 1999
- Plante & Moran. FISHER
13. Authorizing transfer of funds and approval of payment for contracted legal services and appraisals: HALM
a. Budget transfer for payment of defense assessments appeals of The Dow Chemical Company, the Dow Corning Corporation and the Midland Cogeneration Venture (MCV).
b. Payment to Max Derbes & Associates and Baker & O'Brien for contracted appraisal services of The Dow Chemical Company and the Dow Corning Corporation.
c. Payment to Braun, Kendrick, Finkbeiner, P.L.C., Westrate and
Holmstrom, and Spiegel & McDiarmid for contracted legal services relating to the
defense of the assessment appeal by MCV.
14. Approving request to conduct an outdoor concert in downtown
Midland on June 12. DUSO
15. Approving new T-Hangar Lease Agreements at Barstow Airport for tenants in the hangar recently donated to the City from the estate of Herbert H. Dow, 2nd: (Postponed action at March 9 Council meeting.) HAMMOND
* a. Al Mulder, Unit #3
* b. Charles R. Vaughn, Unit #4
* c. Meridian Aero Club, Unit #5
* d. Robert Bourne, Unit #8
16. Setting public hearings:
* a. 1998 Downtown Economic Revitalization Public Improvement Special Assessment District Hearing of Necessity (5/11). DRYZGA
b. 1998 Sidewalk Improvement Program Hearing of Necessity (5/18).
17. Awarding of Softball Field Lighting Relocation Project. MCGUIRE