REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
November 8, 1999 7:00 p.m.
The Charter of the City of Midland states that the Mayor shall preside over all meetings of the City Council. The Charter also states that at its first regular meeting, the City Council shall select one of its members to serve as Mayor. Prior to the City Council selecting a Mayor and Mayor Pro Tem, each Councilman must be administered the Oath of Office by the City Clerk.
Since tonight is the first meeting conducted by the newly elected City Council, the City Clerk will call the meeting to order and administer the Oath of Office to the City Council. The City Clerk will continue to conduct the meeting until the Mayor Pro Tem is selected by the City Council. After the Mayor Pro Tem is selected, the City Clerk will resume her responsibilities as Clerk and the Mayor will conduct the remainder of the meeting.
After the City Council has selected the Mayor Pro Tem, adopted Rules of Procedure, and made the various City Council appointments to other Boards and Commissions, the City Council will then consider the consent agenda and other items of business.
CALL TO ORDER – Penny K. Kovacevich, City Clerk
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
Webelo Troop #3791 – Chestnut Hill Elementary School
ELECTION RESULTS OF NOVEMBER 2, 1999 COUNCIL ELECTION.
ADMINISTRATION OF OATH OF OFFICE - Councilman R. Drummond Black
- Councilman John S. Coppage
- Councilman Hollis H. McKeag
- Councilman John R. Moolenaar
- Councilman Marty A. Wazbinski
1. CITY COUNCIL REORGANIZATION:
a. Selection of a Mayor. KOVACEVICH
b. Selection of a Mayor Pro Tem. KOVACEVICH
c. Adopt Robert’s Rules of Order. DUSO
d. Adopt the rules in recognition of the provisions of the Open Meetings Act. DUSO
e. Adopt the rules in recognition of the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. DUSO
f. Appointment of a Council member to the Midland Area Emergency Medical Board. DUSO
g. Appointment of a Council member to the MBS International Airport Commission. DUSO
h. Appointment of a Council member as the City of Midland’s Legislative Director. DUSO
2. Readoption of previous Council policies. DUSO
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of the “Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated”. If there is even a single request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 3. Approve minutes of October 18 regular and October 22 special City Council meetings. KOVACEVICH
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS, PRESENTATIONS:
4. Report on the City of Midland’s community Y2K efforts. TISDALE
5. Recognition of Fire Truck Operator Mark Kloha as the 1999 Gerstacker Fire Fighter of the Year. HARGARTEN
6. Amendment of the 1998-99 General Fund budget (Also see material sent in October 18 agenda packet.) FISHER
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up before meeting with City Clerk)
7. Appointing attorney James O. Branson III as interim City Attorney. DUSO
8. Giving Final Approval of the plat of Scenic Estates No. 5, a residential subdivision of 20 lots on 10.51 acres east of Jefferson Avenue and south of East Wackerly Street. SCHROEDER
* 9. Accepting resignation of Jason Henry from the Planning Commission. SCHROEDER
* 10. Referring the request to vacate Ox-Bow Drive south of Isabella Street (M-20) and west of Currie Parkway for review and recommendation. SCHROEDER
* 11. Receiving and filing the 1999 Financial Statements and Auditor’s Report for the Saginaw/Midland Municipal Water Supply Corporation. BUSH
* 12. Authorizing the City Manager to cast the ballot on behalf of the City of Midland for the 1999 Michigan Municipal Liability & Property Pool Board of Director’s election. DUSO
13. Making Traffic Control Orders permanent: MCMANUS
* a. P-99-07 – parking shall be prohibited on the west side of East St. Andrews Road from Hillgrove Parkway to 50 feet north.
* b. R-99-02 – the traffic pattern on Rodd Street shall be two-way between Ann Streets and Main Street.
* 14. Extending the “Three Free” Yard Waste Program through the remainder of the yard waste collection program for 1999. MCGUIRE
* 15. Considering request to conduct a Biathlon Competition – May 13, 2000. DUSO
16. Considering contracts and purchases:
* a. Carports – Riverside Place and Washington Woods. SCHROEDER
* b. Tridge Pier Stabilization. MCMANUS
17. Setting public hearings:
* a. Request for Industrial Facilities Exemption Certificate from Soo RoMal Plastics, Inc. within the Tri-City Plastics Industrial Development District No. 1. This project will provide for the purchase of plastic manufacturing machinery and equipment (11/22). DRYZGA
* b. Zoning Petition No. 450 – rezone property on the west side of Waldo Avenue south of Bay City Road from Residential A-4 to Business B-2 (12/6). SCHROEDER
TO CONTACT THE CITY WITH QUESTIONS OR FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Citizen Comment Line: 837-3400
City of Midland website address: www.ci.midland.mi.us
City of Midland email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Government Information Center: located near the reference desk at the Grace A. Dow