REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
March 13, 2000 7:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
John S. Coppage
Hollis H. McKeag
John R. Moolenaar - Excused
Marty A. Wazbinski
1. Resolution accepting resignation of 4th Ward Councilman John R. Moolenaar. KOVACEVICH
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of the “Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated”. If there is even a single request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 2. Approve minutes of February 10 special and February 28 regular City Council meetings. KOVACEVICH
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS, PRESENTATIONS:
3. Informational Report on the upcoming Census 2000. LIBERTO
4. Presentation to the City Council on the Boards and Commissions Recruitment Process. LIBERTO
5. Zoning Petition No. 453 – to rezone property on the southwest corner of Washington and Cambridge Streets from Office-Service 2 to Business B-2. (Also see material sent in February 14 agenda packet.) SCHROEDER
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up before meeting with City Clerk)
6. Ordinance to amend Chapter 7, Electrical Code, of the City of Midland Code of Ordinances: HARGARTEN
a. Second reading and adoption of an ordinance adopting the Michigan Electrical Code, updated December 6, 1999, as the City of Midland Electrical Code in accordance with the State Construction Code Act.
b. Resolution authorizing execution of the “Notice of Adoption of the Michigan Electrical Code”.
7. First reading of an ordinance amending Chapter 7, Electrical Code, of the City of Midland Code of Ordinances to delete redundant language. HARGARTEN
8. First reading of ordinances amending fees for recreation programs: MCGUIRE
a. Section 21-70 of Division 1 of Article II of Chapter 21 – Civic Arena fees.
b. Section 21-71 of Division 2 of Article II of Chapter 21 – Golf Course fees.
c. Section 21-72 of Division 3 of Article II of Chapter 21 – Swimming Pools fees.
9. Directing the City Manager to prepare a report on the 2000 Sidewalk Improvement Program. MCMANUS
* 10. Granting an easement to Northwood University to occupy an area of property behind 102 E. Main Street for air-conditioner compressors. SCHROEDER
* 11. Allowing project expenditures made prior to issuance of the City’s planned bonds for sanitary sewer improvements and retention basin construction to be reimbursed from bond proceeds. FISHER
* 12. Accepting the offer of the Midland Softball Association to fund a Master Plan for the St. Charles/Whitman Recreation Area. MCGUIRE
* 13. Authorizing revised Letters of Agreement with lenders of the C.H.O.I.C.E. program and authorizing staff to continue to administer this aspect of the program accordingly. SCHROEDER
14. Approving purchase agreement for the sale of a C.H.O.I.C.E. house: SCHROEDER
* a. 312 Bradley Road
* b. 311 Bradley Road
* 15. Approving purchase agreement for the sale of a house at 3602 W. Wackerly Street. SCHROEDER
16. Directing the City Manager to enter into negotiations with The Dow Chemical Company/Michigan Operations to reallocate a portion of the City’s ammonia limits within its NPDES Permit in exchange for land located immediately west of the Wastewater Treatment Plant. BUSH
17. Receiving and filing the City Manager’s and Police Department’s Reports on the Annual Review of Class C, D and Resort Liquor Licenses. DUSO
* 18. Approving request from the Midland Downtown Business Association to hold a Block Party in downtown Midland – July 14. DUSO
* 19. Approving payment to Easy Printing Center for document reproduction services in regards to the Midland Cogeneration Venture tax appeal. BRANSON
* 20. Authorizing purchase order to Ayres Associates for Landfill Cell Closure Certification Services. BUSH
TO CONTACT THE CITY WITH QUESTIONS OR FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Citizen Comment Line: 837-3400
City of Midland website address: www.midland-mi.org
City of Midland email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Government Information Center: located near the reference desk at the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library