REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
April 23, 2001 7:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
John S. Coppage
Mary C. Currie
Hollis H. McKeag
Marty A. Wazbinski
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of the “Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated”. If there is even a single request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 1. Approve minutes of April 9 regular and April 16 special City Council meetings. MARSHALL
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS:
2. Recognition of Sgt. Greg Kramer as 2000 Police Officer of the Year. ST. LOUIS
3. Proposed Storm Sewer Design Program. (Also see material sent in March 5 agenda packet.) BUSH
4. City Manager’s Proposed 2001-02 Budget. (Also see material sent in April 9 agenda packet.) FISHER
5. Proposed 2001-02 Community Development Block Grant Budget. (Also see material sent in April 9 agenda packet.) LYNCH
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up before meeting with City Clerk)
6. Second reading and adoption of an ordinance to provide Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) for Granite Club Acres #1, an 11-unit residential housing project located on Gerald Court. FISHER
7. First reading of an ordinance adding a new article to the Code of Ordinances entitled, “Police Department Service Fees”. ST. LOUIS
8. Approving Site Plans: LYNCH
a. No. 199 – Somerset Pines, a 34-unit residential site condominium development on 47.75 acres on the east side of Dublin Road north of Airport Road.
b. No. 203 – a 40,156 square foot, three-story addition to the Dow Chemical Employees’ Credit Union Building at 600 E. Lyon Road.
c. No. 205 – Wild West Family Amusement Center, which will include a 12,000 square foot commercial building with indoor food area and arcade games, along with a go-cart track, mini-golf, bumper boats, water war zone, and an outdoor eating area on six acres on the north side of Commerce Drive east of Eastman Road.
9. Authorizing the sale of $13.6 million General Obligation Unlimited Tax Bonds, Series 2001, for Sanitary Sewer Improvements. FISHER
10. Approving contracts for Sanitary Sewer Bond Issue Improvements: MCMANUS
a. 2001 Elizabeth Force Main Sewer:
1. Contract No. 12.
2. Construction Engineering Inspection Services – Spicer Group.
b. 2001 Jefferson Sanitary Sewer:
1. Contract No. 13.
2. Construction Engineering Inspection Services – Ayres Associates, Inc.
c. 2001 Saginaw Road Force Main:
1. Contract No. 18
2. Change Order No. 1
3. Force Main and Road Construction Management and Engineering Inspection Services – Paul B. Lapham & Associates, Inc.
d. 2001 Nelson Area Pump Station; Contract No. 19.
e. 2001 Ashman Street Sanitary Sewer:
1. Contract No. 20.
2. Construction Engineering Inspection Services – R. C. Associates, Inc.
f. 2001 Valley, East Ashman/Waldo and Patrick Pump Station Improvements; Contract No. 21.
g. Construction Oversight of Various Contracts relating to the 2001 Sanitary Sewer Projects.
* 11. Referring a request to vacate the walkway at the west end of Cones Court. LYNCH
* 12. Making Traffic Control Order X-01-02 permanent – that Whitman Drive between Atwell Street and the Chippewa River be closed to vehicular traffic. MCMANUS
* 13. Authorizing the sale at public auction of unclaimed personal property being held by the Police Department and other departmental surplus items. MEYER
* 14. Considering request for amplified sound in St. Charles Park during Biathlon at the Tridge on May 12. DUSO
15. Considering purchases and contracts:
* a. 2001 Waldo Avenue Reconstruction; Contract No. 3. MCMANUS
* b. Children’s Water Park (Sprayground). MCGUIRE
* c. Two Vacant Parcels of Land located at Wheeler Road east of Waldo Avenue. BUSH
* d. Agreement with Fisher Contracting to temporarily use Barstow Airport for batching concrete. MCMANUS
16. Setting public hearings:
* a. Hearing of Necessity for the 2001 Dublin Avenue Water Main Improvement Special Assessment District (5/7). MCMANUS
* b. Proposed changes to Park Rules (5/7). MCGUIRE
17. Discussion of Boards and Commissions Interview Process. BLACK
TO CONTACT THE CITY WITH QUESTIONS OR FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Citizen Comment Line: 837-3400
City of Midland website address: www.midland-mi.org
City of Midland email address: email@example.com
Government Information Center: located near the reference desk at the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library