REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
February 11, 2002 7:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
Mary C. Currie
Daryl L. Griggs
Hollis H. McKeag
Marty A. Wazbinski
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of the “Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated”. If there is even a single request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 1. Approve minutes of January 28 City Council meeting. KOVACEVICH
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS:
* 2. Recognition of 5th Anniversary of The Midland Academy of Advanced & Creative Studies. TISDALE
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up before meeting with City Clerk)
3. Setting a special meeting for March 1, 2002, to consider revocation of the B. B. Banucks liquor license if the license is not active by February 28. DUSO
4. Receiving the recommendation of the Parks and Recreation Commission and directing the Administration to study the issue of bonding for recreational projects, to seek grant funding for the Plymouth Pool and Civic Arena projects, and to study options for disposition of the current Civic Arena. MCGUIRE
5. Directing the City Manager to distribute a report to residents of the West Main Street Historic District and to schedule a joint meeting of the City Council and the West Main Street Historic District Commission. LYNCH
6. Receiving and filing the 2002-03 Construction Projects Priorities List. MCMANUS
* 7. Accepting three new streets into the City of Midland Local Street System. MCMANUS
* 8. Supporting the widening and safety improvements at the intersection of Eastman and Monroe Roads and allocating $98,000 to the Midland County Road Commission for half of the project costs beyond the $200,000 grant. MCMANUS
* 9. Approving annexation of property located on the east side of Jefferson Avenue, at the eastern end of Oakbrook Court and north of Oakbrook Court, from Larkin Township. LYNCH
10. Making Traffic Control Orders permanent: MCMANUS
* a. D-01-01, that the signal at Swede Avenue and Wheeler Street will operate full color 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and “all red” four-way flash from 10:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. daily.
* b. P-01-11, that parking be prohibited on the south side of Avalon Street from Woodview Pass to 110 feet east.
* c. P-01-12, that parking be prohibited from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the north side of Hollybrook Drive and the west side of Friar Lane 150 feet from the crosswalk located 50 feet north of Hollybrook Drive on Friar Lane.
* d. R-01-03, that right turn on red movements be prohibited from southbound Swede Avenue onto Eastlawn Drive.
* e. S-01-06, that the existing stop control be removed for southbound Ellsworth Street at Ripley Street.
* f. S-01-07, that Sherwood Court will yield for Crescent Drive.
* 11. Considering request to utilize amplified sound during a Day of Prayer event. DUSO
12. Considering purchases and contracts:
a. Payment to Plante and Moran, LLP, for accounting services relating to the City’s defense of appeals to the Michigan Tax Tribunal by: BRANSON
* 1. The Dow Chemical Company
* 2. Dow Corning Corporation
* b. Professional Services Agreement with Hamilton Anderson Associates for the Circle Area Enhancement Study. LYNCH
* c. Furniture for Currie Clubhouse. MCGUIRE
13. Setting public hearings:
* a. Request to close Goldenwood Drive at Hedgewood Drive (3/11). LYNCH
* b. Request to vacate Burch Street north of Soper Street, and all of Madison Street (3/11). LYNCH
* 14. Expressing City Council’s opposition to Senate Bill 1016 and directing the City Manager to send a letter to Senator Schuette urging him to oppose this proposed legislation. DUSO
TO CONTACT THE CITY WITH QUESTIONS OR FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Citizen Comment Line: 837-3400
City of Midland website address: www.midland-mi.org
City of Midland email address: email@example.com
Government Information Center: located near the reference desk at the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library