REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
March 11, 2002 7:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
Mary C. Currie
Daryl L. Griggs
Hollis H. McKeag
Marty A. Wazbinski (excused)
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of the “Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated”. If there is even a single request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 1. Approve minutes of February 25 regular City Council meeting. KOVACEVICH
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS, PRESENTATIONS:
2. Recognition of Patrol Officer John DuBois as 2001 Police Officer of the Year. ST. LOUIS
3. Presentation on the 2002 Boards and Commissions Recruitment Process. TISDALE
4. Request to close Goldenwood Drive at Hedgewood Drive. (Also see material sent in February 11 agenda packet.) LYNCH
5. Request to vacate Burch Street north of Soper Street, and all of Madison Street. (Also see material sent in February 11 agenda packet.) LYNCH
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up before meeting with City Clerk)
6. Second reading and adoption of ordinances amending fees for recreation programs: MCGUIRE
a. Section 21-70 of Division 1 of Article II of Chapter 21 – Civic Arena fees.
b. Section 21-71 of Division 2 of Article II of Chapter 21 – Golf Course fees.
c. Section 21-72 of Division 3 of Article II of Chapter 21 – Swimming Pool fees.
d. Section 21-73 of Division 4 of Article II of Chapter 21 – General Recreation fees.
7. First reading of an ordinance establishing: KOVACEVICH
a. New ward boundary lines for the five wards within the City of Midland.
b. Election precinct lines.
8. Recommending revocation of the Class C Liquor License held by B. B. Banucks. DUSO
9. Directing the City Manager to prepare a report on the 2002 Sidewalk Improvement Program. MAKI
* 10. Adopting the Midland County Solid Waste Management Plan. BUSH
* 11. Authorizing execution of the Fifth Amendment to the City of Midland Sanitary Landfill Letter of Credit with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. BUSH
12. Downtown Development Authority: TOMION
* a. Accepting resignation of David Ramaker.
* b. Confirming the City Manager’s appointment of John Reisner.
13. Considering purchases and contracts:
* a. Senior Housing Health Care Services. LYNCH
* b. Professional Services Agreement for Downtown Economic Enhancement Strategy. LYNCH
* c. Park Mowing Services. MCGUIRE
d. Treatment Services for Sycamore Trees. MCGUIRE
* e. Payment to Pilko & Assoc. for environmental management consulting services relating to Dow Corning Corporation’s appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. BRANSON
* f. Payment for contracted legal services relating to the City of Midland’s defense in the Midland Cogeneration Venture’s appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. BRANSON
* g. Waiving sealed competitive proposals and approving payment for housing and related expenses in connection with the Midland Cogeneration Venture tax appeal trial. BRANSON
* h. Waiving sealed competitive proposals and approving payment for court-reporting services in connection with the Midland Cogeneration Venture’s property tax appeal trial. BRANSON
14. Setting public hearings:
* a. Zoning Petition No. 485 – rezone property at 1005 Third Street from Business C to Industrial A (4/22). LYNCH
* b. Zoning Petition No. 486 – rezone property at 3100 Isabella Street from Residential A-1 to Residential B (4/22). LYNCH
15. Calling a closed session of the City Council for the purpose of discussing pending litigation, specifically Midland Cogeneration Venture Limited Partnership vs. City of Midland. TOMION
16. Calling a closed session of the City Council for March 19, 2002, at 4:00 p.m. in Conference Room B for the purpose of discussing pending litigation, specifically Dow Corning Corporation vs. City of Midland and The Dow Chemical Company vs. City of Midland. TOMION
TO CONTACT THE CITY WITH QUESTIONS OR FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Citizen Comment Line: 837-3400
City of Midland website address: www.midland-mi.org
City of Midland email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Government Information Center: located near the reference desk at the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library