REGULAR MEETING OF THE MIDLAND CITY COUNCIL
City Hall, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, Michigan
June 23, 2003 7:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER - R. Drummond Black, Mayor
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ROLL CALL - R. Drummond Black
Mary C. Currie
Daryl L. Griggs
Hollis H. McKeag
Marty A. Wazbinski
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of the “Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated”. If there is even a single request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 1. Approve minutes of June 9 regular City Council meeting. KOVACEVICH
2. Special Assessment Roll for the 2003 Sidewalk Improvement Special Assessment District. (Also see material sent in June 9 agenda packet.) ELBERS
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS, PRESENTATIONS:
3. Presentation of the Cable Franchise Renewal Agreement. DUSO
4. Second reading and adoption of amendments to the Code of Ordinances: OSTGARDEN
a. Amendment to Chapter 22 by adding a new article and sections called Addresses under Article IV of Chapter 22, Sections 22-70 and 22-71.
b. Amendment to Chapter 34-5 Municipal Civil Infractions of the Code of Ordinances by adding 34-5(6) Article IV, Chapter 22 Addresses.
5. Second reading and adoption of an amendment to Section 28-163, Div. 3 – Rates of, the City of Midland Sewer Ordinance. BUSH
6. Second reading and adoption of an amendment to Section 21-34 and repeal of Section 21-35 of Article I of Chapter 21 of the City of Midland Rates, Charges and Fees Ordinance. BUSH
PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL. (Please sign up before meeting with City Clerk)
7. Approving Site Plans: LYNCH
a. No. 224 - a 3,980 sq. ft. Pizza Hut restaurant located at 1516 N. Saginaw Road on 1.19 acres.
b. No. 227 – a 104,795 sq. ft. Home Depot with an additional 28,078 sq. ft. garden center and a separate 40,044 sq. ft. retail structure located north of Joe Mann Boulevard, east of Eastman Avenue and west of Jefferson Avenue on 25.47 acres.
* 8. Accepting water and sewer easement agreements from Dean Johnston and the Dean Johnston family. MCMANUS
9. Making Traffic Control Orders permanent: MCMANUS
* a. D-03-05 – that the traffic signal control at the intersection of Jerome Street and Buttles Street shall operate in full color mode 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
* b. P-03-06 – that parking time be limited to two hours in the recessed area on the southwest side of Union Street between Ashman Street and 120 feet northwest of Ashman Street and on the recessed area on the northwest side of Ashman Street between Union Street and 100 feet southwest of Union Street replacing the current one hour parking restriction.
* c. R-03-02 – that “No Turn On Red” control for westbound Saginaw Road at Orchard Drive be established.
* 10. Receiving and filing the 2002 Drinking Water Quality Report. BUSH
* 11. Directing Library Director to notify the White Pine Library Cooperative and the Library of Michigan of the library’s intent to withdraw from the Cooperative. BARNARD
* 12. Considering request from Stepping Stones Day Care to conduct a parade on June 30. DUSO
13. Considering purchases and contracts:
* a. 2003 Countryside & Green Sanitary Sewers; Contract No. 11. MCMANUS
* b. 2003 Wackerly Water Main Replacement; Contract No. 15. MCMANUS
* c. Personal Computer Hardware and Software. BIRCHMEIER
* d. Wholesale Water Service Agreement between the Saginaw-Midland Municipal Water Supply Corporation and the City of Standish, Michigan. BUSH
* e. Refuse Compactor Lease – Landfill. BUSH
* f. Solid Waste Disposal Agreements - Landfill. BUSH
* g. Payment to Braun, Kendrick, Finkbeiner, P.L.C., Westrate and Holmstrom, P.C. and Spiegel & McDiarmid for contracted legal services relating to the City’s defense in the Midland Cogeneration Venture’s appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. BRANSON
* h. Payment to Miller, Canfield, Paddock & Stone for contracted legal services relating to the City’s defense in the Dow Corning Corporation’s and The Dow Chemical Company’s appeals to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. BRANSON
TO CONTACT THE CITY WITH QUESTIONS OR FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Citizen Comment Line: 837-3400
City of Midland website address: www.midland-mi.org
City of Midland email address: email@example.com
Government Information Center: located near the reference desk at the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library