MEETING OF THE
November 9, 2009 7:00 p.m.
The Charter of the City
Since tonight is the
first meeting conducted by the newly elected
CALL TO ORDER – Selina Tisdale, City Clerk
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
ELECTION RESULTS OF NOVEMBER 3, 2009 COUNCIL ELECTION
ADMINISTRATION OF OATH OF OFFICE - Councilman Thomas W. Adams
- Councilman Maureen Donker
- Councilman Scott G. Gaynor
- Councilman Bruce A. Johnson
- Councilman Marty A. Wazbinski
Information on each agenda item is available by clicking on the number of the item.
1. CITY COUNCIL REORGANIZATION:
a. Selection of a Mayor. TISDALE
b. Selection of a Mayor Pro Tem. TISDALE
c. Adopt Robert’s Rules of Order. DUSO
d. Adopt the rules in recognition of the provisions of the Open Meetings Act. DUSO
e. Adopt the rules in recognition of the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. DUSO
f. Appointment of a Councilman to the Midland Area Emergency Medical Board. DUSO
g. Appointment of a Councilman to the MBS International Airport Commission. DUSO
h. Appointment of a Councilman as the City of Midland’s Legislative Director. DUSO
CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTING CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All resolutions marked with an asterisk are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate consideration of these items unless a Council member or citizen so requests during the discussion stage of the “Motion to adopt the Consent Agenda as indicated”. If there is even a single request the item will be removed from the consent agenda without further motion and considered in its listed sequence in regular fashion.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
* 2. Approve minutes of October 19 City Council meeting. TISDALE
PROCLAMATIONS, AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS, PRESENTATIONS:
3. Proclamation recognizing the Pere Marquette Rail-Trail as the recipient of the national Rails to Trails Conservancy Hall of Fame Trail designation for the month of October 2009. BAKER
4. Recognition of Fire Truck Operator Thomas G. Hernden as the 2009 Carl and Esther Gerstacker Fire Fighter of the Year. GARCIA
5. Recognition of Lieutenant Steven R. Elmer as the 2008 Carl and Esther Gerstacker Police Officer of the Year. LADWIG
6. Recognition of Patrol Officer Donald N. Brooks as the 2009 Carl and Esther Gerstacker Police Officer of the Year. LADWIG
7. Amendment to the 2009-2010 General Fund budget to recognize additional revenue of $30,208 from a Federal Grant to provide for overtime wages associated with community/public relations activities; and to recognize additional revenue of $45,000 from a State grant to facilitate a partnership project between the City of Midland Police Department and the Midland Area Partnership for Drug Free Youth (Also see material sent in October 19 agenda packet). BLOCK
COMMENTS, IF ANY, BEFORE CITY COUNCIL.
(Please sign up with City Clerk before meeting). This is an opportunity for people to address
* 8. Extending the “Three Free” fee waiver for yard waste through the leaf collection program. MURPHY
9. Making Traffic Control Orders permanent: MCMANUS
* a. S-09-08 – that Vine Street shall stop for Plainfield Street.
* b. S-09-09 – that Bobcat Court shall yield to Mammoth Pines Drive.
* c. S-09-10 – that Country Walk Circle shall yield to Peachtree Circle.
* d. S-09-11 – that Peachtree Circle shall stop for Shirewood Lane.
* e. S-09-12 – that Whiffletree Lane shall stop for Shirewood Lane.
* 10. Accepting Scott Gaynor’s resignation from the Planning Commission. BAKER
* 11. Approving the request of the Circle Business Association to conduct a Tree Lighting event on the Circle. DUSO
12. Considering purchases and contracts:
* a. Unleaded fuel purchase of October 22 (4/5 vote required). MURPHY
* b. Increase Purchase Order to CTI Engineering for continued design and bid administration – Landfill. BUSH
TO CONTACT THE CITY WITH QUESTIONS OR FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Citizen Comment Line: 837-3400