City Engineer

333 W. Ellsworth St.

Midland, MI 48640

Permit Forms

The Engineering Department issues permits for sidewalk construction, curb cuts, driveways, sewer connections, street cuts and house moving. All work within the public street right-of-way requires a permit from the City of Midland. The public street right-of-way includes public streets, sidewalks, and the outlawn area.

Click on any of the links below to access interactive permit applications in Adobe PDF format that can be filled out online and then printed to a desktop printer before being signed (if required) and returned to the appropriate City department indicated on the form. Instructions on how to use the interactive forms are included at the top of the first page of each form.

If a hard copy permit form is preferred, contact the Engineering Department at 989-837-3348 and one will be mailed or faxed to you.

  • General Permit Form (used for sidewalk, storm and sanitary sewer connection, street cut, curb cuts and driveway permits)

  • This permit form is for all driveway approach modifications, residential and commercial curb cuts, sidewalk installation and replacement, street cuts, and connections into the storm and/or sanitary sewer system.

  • Storm Water Management Permit/Application Form

  • Before initiating any new construction, development, redevelopment, or land use change regulated by Chapter 29 of the City's Code of Ordinances, an applicant is required to obtain a storm water permit.  Related development plans submitted by the applicant must meet all applicable requirements. 

    A fee will be required in accordance with procedures defined in Chapter 21 of the City's Code of Ordinances.

  • Utility Permit Application Form

  • Individuals or companies wishing to use the City public street right-of-way for installation of new utility main lines must comply with requirements set forth in Chapter 22 of the City's Code of Ordinances. A permit is required for all new utility mainline work, with the exception of overhead public utility pole lines or work done at the direction of the City, either by contract or by employees of the City.

    Moving a building or an oversized load on a trailer within Midland city limits requires a moving permit. Special considerations may require coordination with the City's Engineering Department depending upon the size of the load being moved, the time of day and/or year, and the weight of the load.

    Adobe® Reader is required to view and use the forms referenced on this page. A copy of the software can be downloaded free of charge by clicking on the link below.


    Frequently Asked Questions

    Eastman Avenue Traffic Study

    Jack Barstow Airport

    Fast Facts about Midland's Streets and Utilities

    Construction Process

    Current Street Construction Projects & Detours

    Public Improvements

    Sidewalk Installation

    Capital Maintenance of Midland's Infrastructure


    Traffic Operations

    Light Emitted Diodes (LEDs)

    Sewer Lead

    Street Lights

    Private Utility Construction

    Subdivision and Commercial Development Reviews

    Safety in Work Zones

    Yard Drainage/ Flooding Problems

    City Engineering Home Page

    City of Midland • 333 W. Ellsworth St. • Midland, MI 48640 • (989) 837-3300