Utilities - Water Department
Water/Sewer Billing Office, 333 W.
Ellsworth St., Midland, MI 48640 Phone: 989-837-3341
Water Treatment Plant, 2607 Bay City Rd., Midland, MI
48642 Phone: 989-837-3515
City Water - Where It's From & How It Reaches Midland
Midland has received its source potable water supply from Lake Huron
since 1948. The source water pumping system is jointly owned and
operated by the cities of Midland and Saginaw through the
Saginaw-Midland Municipal Water Supply Corporation (SMMWSC).
Water from Lake Huron is drawn into the system through two
intake structures located one and two miles offshore at Whitestone
Point. Combined, the two intakes provide a maximum of 230 million
gallons per day of available capacity.
The intake structures at Whitestone Point are screened to keep out debris and
fish, and the water is chlorinated to kill harmful
bacteria and zebra mussels. The water is then pumped through 65 miles of
pipeline to Midland.
To view the path City of Midland water
follows from Whitestone Point to Midland, see the map below.
Once at the Midland Water Treatment Plant, chemicals are added to the raw
water to further purify and disinfect it. In addition, over
100,000 tests are performed each year, before, during and after
treatment to assure that the water meets all Federal and State regulations for safe drinking water.
The finished water is stored in both elevated and underground
facilities located throughout the water system.
The City's Water Treatment Plant is capable of providing 48
million gallons per day of treated Lake Huron water to Midland area homes
and businesses. In addition, there is a 110-million gallon source water
reservoir located to the north of the City of Midland Water Plant on Bay City
Road that is used for flow equalization and an emergency supply in
case of loss of water supply.
The Water Plant also provides industrial-grade water for its
local industrial customers.
The Water Plant is staffed by professional water treatment plant
operators, water analysts and maintenance personnel to ensure that this large
amount of water is delivered quickly and efficiently to the City's more than
17,000 water customers.
About the Saginaw-Midland Municipal Water Supply Corporation
The Saginaw-Midland Municipal Water Supply Corporation
(SMMWSC), organized in 1946, operates under Act 233 of Michigan Public Acts of
1955, as a non-profit municipal corporation providing raw Lake Huron water to
its owners, the cities of Saginaw and Midland.
The corporation is a Michigan Type 1 Public Water Supply and operates within the
rules and regulations of Michigan's Safe Drinking Water Act 399 P.A. 1976, as
The corporation provides limited treatment and basic disinfection of Lake Huron
water before it is transmitted to households, businesses and industry. This
high-quality, reliable raw water service has been provided to customers in
mid-Michigan for more than 50 years.
Facilities That Deliver Clean Water to Midland Area Citizens
SMMWSC owns and operates three water-pumping plants and approximately 115 miles
of buried infrastructure.
The key pumping plant is located at Whitestone Point, near AuGres, Michigan.
Other water booster stations are located in Pinconning and Bay City.
The corporation's water transmission infrastructure
system consists of 48-, 60- and 72-inch pipes that have been installed in a parallel
configuration for added reliability. Pipelines between the Bay City plant and the cities of Saginaw
and Midland have also been expanded into parallel pipeline systems.
From Whitestone Point